Skip to main content

Frequently asked questions about Rise up!

Yes. If you are unsure about whether your application meets all of them, please call us or email us before preparing your application.

Please complete your application in English, so that we may also ask international reviewers for their assessments.

No. The Rise up! programme is exclusively intended for those doing basic research in biology, chemistry, or medicine.

You can apply for funding to remunerate scientific personnel and purchase consumables. You can also apply for funding to procure equipment that is specifically required for the proposed research programme. You must, however, provide us with a written justification (i.e., reasons) as to why the equipment is necessary. In addition, you may apply for funding to cover travel expenses (to scientific conferences or for scientific cooperation) and publication expenses.


We select reviewers who posses the necessary expertise in the relevant field (e.g., subject, technologies, model systems, etc.) to judge the projects, and who are able to evaluate both the past performance and the future potential of applicants.

You are welcome to propose suitable experts as reviewers who do not have a conflict of interest. We consider a conflict to exist if you (1) are collaborating with the individual (2) have jointly published with the individual within the past 3 years, (3) conduct research at the same site, or (4) if the individual was your doctoral or postdoctoral advisor. To exclude an expert as a reviewer of your application, you must provide a statement of reasons. Board members of the Foundation may not be excluded.

In such cases, you are obliged to inform the Foundation promptly. The Foundation will decide on a case-by-case basis whether remaining funding, and what amount thereof, may transfer with you to the new institution. 

Rise up! funding is linked to the proposed research project that has been evaluated by a two-stage peer-review process. Hence, if substantial changes to your project's proposal become apparent to you, you are obliged to inform and confer with the Foundation accordingly.


No, this is not possible.